Thursday, February 14, 2013

V-Day

The ever thoughtful and dutiful Boyfriend sent me flowers at work, a beautiful mixed bouquet that arrived shortly after lunch. It was nice considering my clients must have gotten hornets in their bouquets because they were simply boorish. 

We ordered a feast of Indian food and settled in for a movie - he's determined to make me a girl. We watched a romantic comedy - he did warn me that there were no aliens, no massive explosions, etc - I reminded him that my idea of romance was Pitch Black or Terminator, a six pack and NIN on repeat while having carnival monkey sex.
I think the idea of gender roles is fascinating. The things we associate with male and female - assigning acts, mannerisms, and the like to one or the other. I think the lines have blurred significantly in the last 100 years, most certainly, but there is still this divide between the sexes. 

This isn't to say I cannot enjoy a romantic comedy, there are quite a few that I like but it's not my default desire when it comes to movies. Apparently, my desire is typically more masculine - things that blow up, drive fast or are from another planet. But what makes those things particularly masculine?

The whole idea of Valentine's Day is sweet but I really could care less. Don't get me wrong - I love the flowers and they brighten up my desk (sitting next to the pile of Quaker Oatmeal single serving containers) but why is appreciating beauty, like flowers, a generally female thing?