Tuesday, November 20, 2012

K's Sweet Potato Pie!


K’s Sweet Potato Pie
What I think makes this different is my exclusive use of brown sugar. I do this quite a bit in my baking. I was trying to perfect the recipe - back to what I remember, and I eliminated white sugar entirely - i think that the caramel flavor of brown sugar enhances the potatoes - while the white sugar is just overly sweet. Sometimes, I throw in a little extra vanilla too. :-) If you make this, let me know how it turns out and if you made any adjustments!

2 cups sweet potatoes (approximately 3 medium sweet potatoes)
2 tablespoons butter
2 eggs beaten
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350°

After boiling sweet potatoes, mash them along with butter and eggs.

In another bowl combine sugar, flour and salt then mix with potatoes.

Mix butter, milk and baking soda. Add to potatoes.

Add vanilla.

Fill pie crust.

Bake for 70 minutes or until firm and fork tines come out clean.