Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Gift...

I arrived at the house, eager anticipation coursed though my veins. I was oddly nervous. There it was. A small, white, reinforced envelope of cardboard and paper. My name, front and center, his offset in the corner. It had arrived. I casually picked it up - I had an audience. Turned it over in my hand. Inspected its inches. Found a spot at the edge, pinched it tight and pulled.

Tilting the stiff mailer, two plastic cases spilled out into my left hand. There it was. Shiny. Purple. Beautiful. My audience looked on as tears welled up. I was handed a tissue, dabbed appropriately and was grateful I didn't wear mascara.

I uncapped the beauty, feeling her weight in my hand. Beautifully balanced and comfortable. We became acquainted and instantly it felt like we belonged together. I wrote my name on a sheet of paper. Dark ink crept across the paper, thin letters composing my name. Suddenly, as I was appreciating her feel, she was pulled from my hand, the child wishing to test - I hadn't enough time yet but I could not protest.

There was appreciative awe from the audience as she was passed around. The skillful craftsmanship. The pretty purple color - amethyst, my birthstone. But mainly the thoughtfulness.

I texted my thanks immediately. Downplayed the effect a little - I have some dignity. Hahahahaha. Upon my return home, we talked until 3 am. All else in the world forgotten save for him and his gift. Several glorious hours passed in what felt like just a handful of mortal minutes - until I fell asleep. Dreamy and smiling, I drifted off, but not purposely. It simply couldn't be helped. I drifted into the sleep of one who has had her heart warmed by the thoughtfulness of another.

Sigh.

Anyway. I don't know what this is and I'm trying not to question it or think too much. Just enjoying.