Monday, September 22, 2008

Lively + Chrome = Ooops!


If you know me, you know that I like new things and I like shiny things. And you know that I am in love, head over heels, with Google...

Over the weekend during my many, what I like to call, "Sanity Breaks" I discovered Lively. I know its geared to the teens and twentysomethings but I simply cannot help myself. Its a virtual world comprised of various user created rooms. But ultimately its a chat application. And a highly interactive one.

I spent an inordinate amount of time stuck in a single empty room walking my little virtual self back and forth wondering why I couldn't, for the life of me, drink the cup of coffee that was taunting me on the table - even my virtual self was jonsing for the joe...sigh....Anyway...So I played around on it on and off wishing we (work) had the technology to produce something like this. I know we're not chat focused but its not just about the actual chat but just the ability to produce something of this caliber...I digress. Basically, this weekend I discovered Lively.

Within the past month I have been getting myself used to using Chrome too - the wonderful new browser from Google (He's so fickle, I can't get him to commit. He's into the whole "open relationship" thing. One day he's all about "chimpanzees" and the next "large hadron collider" - so instead I've had to settle for this rather tawdry affair. Ugh. I won't go into the sordid details). Anyway, so on my lunch hour I decided to use Chrome to get to Lively... And what do I find? Chrome is not compatible with Lively. This is so ungooglish. And it just seems a little odd - to have your service not work with your other service. Uh...Hmmm....Needless to say I was disappointed. Never did Lively at lunch - settling for some Chrome browsing and a blog posting instead.

I think Google is going through something. I think he needs a hug. And maybe a kiss. Or two....