Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Let there be light...


I have this aversion to changing light bulbs. It's about as irrational as my fear of spiders. I know this. I will go to great lengths to avoid changing burnt out bulbs...it annoys me, too...sigh...I stumble and trip over things - all because I can't see because the bulbs are burned out...

But tonight is different. Tonight is one of the first nights, in a year, that I've actually changed some of the light bulbs in my apartment. I have been living in darkness for months. The strings of lights I have around the ceiling went dark months ago and since then, more and more of the bulbs throughout my apartment have been dying....I have excused it as "mood" lighting and I've been supplementing the lengthening daylight with candles, or sometimes the television...

I don't know what did it for me today but I started to replace the bulbs - from the one above the stove to the ones in my hallway...I didn't wake up and think, oh I need to change the light bulbs...It wasn't like that...maybe its finally the remainder of becoming self sufficient...or maybe the last time I stubbed my toes or tripped over shoes hit home harder than I thought...

Somehow, and I don't yet know exactly how, but somehow - this feels oddly significant....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note!