Sunday, April 27, 2008

Edjubacation


Well, I was looking over a menu thinking to myself, I think I could make this stuff at home (Gop Chang Jun Gol - boiled fresh beef intestine, beef tripe, radishes, bean curd, etc. or Bu Dae Jun Gol - boiled spam, bacon, sausage and various vegetables) until I came across something that requires dropwort...

Funny, I was picturing my spice rack and thought wow I don't think I have a smidge of dropwort! Come to think of it, I don't even know what the hell dropwort is. It seems that I will make a trip to the nearest calcareous grassland because I am not only interested in cooking with dropwort but the health benefits as well.

I mean come on, there isn't a day that goes by that I'm not concerned about my stone and gravel - though, I don't believe I wish the stoppage of urine - however it then goes on to say that it provokes the urine (come on people, make up your minds) - frankly, I don't want my urine provoked per se. I mean I've been ok thus far without stopping or provoking it. I think it best left alone...

So, for the other ignorant people out there, here's some information on dropwort:


DROPWORT FILIPENDULA VULGARIS
Good for the stone, gravel, and stoppage of urine.
The roots of the Dropwort resemble Dahlia tubers. The stalks grow to about a foot (30 cm) high and bear many pretty flowers in the shape of an umbel. They are white on the inside and red on the outside.

Where to find it: A perennial of calcareous grassland.
Flowering time: It flowers in early summer.
Astrology: It is accounted under Venus.
Medicinal virtues: The root is used to provoke the urine and therefore is good for those with the stone.
Modern uses: There are several plants bearing the name of Dropwort and most of them are poisonous. The root of Filipendula vulgaris contains a slightly poisonous glycoside. The Water Hemlock (Oenanthe crocata) is also known as Dropwort. It grows in ditches and in stagnant water, and is one of the most poisonous plants, causing death within three hours. The Water Dropwort (Oenanthe aquatica) is less poisonous. A homoeopathic tincture of the seeds is used in doses of a few drops for the treatment of coughs, flatulence and urinary tract disorders. The common Tubular Water Dropwort is known botanically as Oenanthe fatulosa. Because of the confusion that can arise in discerning the poisonous varieties from the innocuous, it is recommended that they are not used as herbal medicines domestically.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note!