Monday, April 16, 2012

The Gift That Wasn't




Funny how when you're least expecting it, random things just decide to make themselves known. I hadn't thought about it since giving it away to someone else but I had taken photos of it because, it its own way, it was kinda cool. I was going to send it but had been talked out of the idea and I found it a new home.

Anyway, I was digging through my phone, looking for a file and came across these...

I remember holding it in my hand, it was a heavy thing, I was shocked by its heft. The blade was very, very sharp and it came with paperwork. My fingers traced the scrolling inscriptions, like little rivers carved into the cold steel - I liked feeling it against my flesh. The handle was a reddish wood with metal inlay. Also sturdier than I had thought it would be.

There was something special about it.

I remember, for a moment, wanting to know what it would feel like to pierce my skin with this piece. I know, I know - it's just the curiosity. And it's NOT about self-harm, it's the experience. Just to know. Difficult to explain....

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Just saw the pictures today and it made me remember the knife. Time for me to get to my appointment!