Friday, January 20, 2012

:-) :-) :-)

I awoke this morning to a crisp winter day, full of promise. There was a smile on my face and a song in my heart (though it made it's way to my lips) as I climbed out of bed. I slipped from between the covers and into a hot, joyful shower...Put curlers on my head and dressed, my favorite purple cardigan and sparkly tank top.

I removed the ring from my finger, the one I wore for the last two years and tucked it away in my jewelry box, forever. My fingers found their way to a pretty silver charm necklace and clasped it around my neck.

A cup of hot coffee kept me company and I sang the whole way to the office where even the most demanding clients couldn't break my spirit. At noon, I frolicked in the snow, singing along to the radio as I cleaned my car free from snow, laughing as I skated around my black beauty, whisking away the fluffy flakes that had accumulated.

I met my new friend for lunch - we had sushi, and discovered we were the only two people in Chicago unaware that there was a winter snow storm approaching. We lingered too long, basking the company of a kindred spirit. We talked of everything and nothing. I forgot how nice it was to have a new friend. So much to discover. We hugged our goodbyes and I dashed off to an afternoon of meetings.

By the time I left work, around four fifteen, the snow had amassed in great quantities. Mini mountains everywhere. My commute turned into three hours in first gear - and yet still, this amazing mood lasted!

I arrived in my parking lot to find they hadn't plowed and my neighbors car was half in my space. Mild irritation began to infiltrate, until my neighbor came over to my window - he had grabbed a shovel from the building closet and he began to shovel my parking space. We talked awhile and he went and got my other neighbor to move his car so I could park more easily....

I stood in the winter night, talking with angels, halos of snow dancing around their heads. I marveled at the wonders of the day, the kindness, the joy, even the snow. And now I head to bed, perchance to dream, the song in my heart and the smile on my lips - ending the day as it began.