Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Pleasent Phishing Trip

As usual, at some point my day involves reporting a bunch of phishing sites to hosts, registrars, etc. - I use PhishTank.com for the ones I can't handle. Usually those registered in foreign countries are the most difficult for me to deal with so I hope that through PhishTank they'll eventually be addressed....

Often it requires some digging, several emails and then follow up a few days later. I always go back and check to see if the issues have been resolved and if not, I start the process all over again....Often I'm met with stupid auto responses and little action or the NMP response - Not My Problem...Very frustrating...

Well, this morning I had a completely different experience. I must now sing the praises of the people at Fast Domain (fastdomain.com). I sent them an email notifying them of a phishing site they were hosting and lo and behold, they had killed the site within 10 minutes! I've NEVER had such a quick response...

There is hope! I know its a small victory but it feels nice that they took it seriously enough to act so quickly.