Thursday, October 2, 2008

Iron....


Mmmmm...metal...

My love of Google has met with my fear for privacy....While I've been loving cruising the net with my shiny new browser I've also been learning more about the not so GooglyGoodness of Chrome's privacy issues. There is something kinda Big Brotherish about the Omnibox (Chrome's address bar) as it sends back the keystrokes you type - EVEN if you DON'T hit send...Hmmmm....This triggers some of my massive conspiracy fears which clashes with my devotion to Google....

There are ways to prevent the data from going anywhere - apparently if you turn off suggestions and/or don't use Google as your search (yeah, right, like that's going to happen) then the information is not sent. And supposedly the Incognito setting will also prevent the dissemination of your information.

But if that is not enough there is another route to go - Iron. Its a version of Chrome without submitting your user information. Among Iron's features are no Google updater and no crash information is sent to Google. I personally have not tried it yet - I'm still weighing my options (how much to I really care that people know I'm searching for Vin Diesel pictures?)....Get Iron by visiting: http://www.srware.net/software_srware_iron_download.php